Saturday, July 21, 2012

37: Vision of Victory





The CARP photography and video studio was once a gym and shower facility on the fourth floor of the New Yorker Hotel, and having no windows it made an ideal darkroom. A rudimentary developing lab and enlarger were at my disposal, but I rarely used them, taking most of the work to a nearby lab. I made a few Cibachrome prints using chemicals having a nasty and almost deadly smell. (One time I inadvertently sniffed the toxic contents of one of the canisters; this may have been the cause of my demented humor, or it may have acerbated, or rather accelerated its onslaught.) The darkroom had originally been just for photography, but the video department with Nolan and his equipment moved in, adding discomfort to the room. There was little space, and no windows. Nolan set up the editing equipment in a stuffy projection booth and spent many hours editing an endless slew of CARP events. The heat generated from the editing equipment, the five hot lights that I used for photography, the warmth from the light tables, the lack of ventilation, the sticky odor of chemicals, coupled with the occasional smeared carcass of a crushed cockroach all contributed to the disagreeable atmosphere. Nolan and I made the best of it, and would watch videos such as Time Bandits in the projection room. So it was at this studio that the story begins…
            I heard from Robin that she and Dr. Seuk descended two flights from CARP Headquarters, entered the studio and found the advance copy of Today's World that had been slipped under the door. The cover of the magazine, which was published by Unification Church, featured a photo of Hyo Jin Nim victoriously holding a trophy at the CARP Convention, with Dr. Suek at his side. In the picture Dr. Suek, the National Director of CARP, was about to applaud, but at the time of shutter release his hands hadn't quite opened, and thus were curved. Because his hands were photographed in an unflattering position he instructed me not to use the photo in the album to be presented to True Father… It's a good thing that Robin was with him to say, "But doesn't Hyo Jin Nim look great in the picture." That was one of Dr. Seuk's primary concerns, attending Hyo Jin Nim, and he said nothing about it to me.



           
              The most important event of CARP's history in America was perhaps the 3rd CARP Convention of World Students, where Hyo Jin Moon took center stage as the President of World CARP. The event took place from October 9, to the 15th, 1986, in Manhattan. The Festival was held at the Javits Convention Center; the Han Ma Dang Games took place at William Paterson College in New Jersey. An anti Drug Rally was held at the UN, and a Symposium took place at New York University.
            Mr. Kay, one of the 100 Japanese CARPies who came to America just prior to the convention, was put in charge of photography. He was not a photographer; we were told that he had been responsible for documenting the previous convention in Japan. His primary objective was to keep the budget down — that was to rein in Bill, the most experienced CARP photographer.
            Two Japanese shutterbugs were assigned to the American team, making a total of six photographers, if you include Mr. Kay he, who shot everything with an Instamatic. There was Bill, myself, and Tom, who I asked to help. Three other photographers came from Japan and a total of 50 others ended up with official photographer passes.
            At the closing ceremony in the Grand Ballroom of the New Yorker Hotel, Dr. Suek presented Hyo Jin Nim with a large blown glass globe representing the world. I positioned myself with the audience in the background to get the shot. At the moment the gift was presented an unofficial photographer with a point and shoot camera broke through the ranks of the paparazzi, jumped on the stage and ruined the background of my shot with his presence. But then, maybe I ruined the shots the paparazzi took.


June 25, 1987

CARP Headquarters
481 Eighth Avenue
New York, New York.

The enclosed rolls of film were delivered to an individual named Karp at our office here, based on the information on the scrap of paper attached. They had been found in the Atlanta airport and were sent to us with a note explaining their origin. We had one roll of film developed, since we do have an advertising office in the Atlanta area and there was a possibility that they did belong to us. Examination of the slides showed otherwise. I have been trying for several weeks now to get an answer at the only phone number listed for your organization in the Manhattan white pages. I got through today and the person I spoke to said that your location was the place to send this material. Sincerely, John O'Brien

         I had flown to Athens, Georgia to photograph the Renaissance Festival and had taken the quintessential CARP shot. I knew very well that Dr. Suek loved pictures that showed large crowds at CARP events. On that day there was a particularly large crowd, and Dr. Suek had personally instructed me to use a wide-angle lens. From a high vantage point I was able to include not only the great crowd formation— but also a row of people who were watching from a distance. I did this by putting a row of heads out of focus at the very bottom of the frame, while shooting over their heads. I took two rolls of this rally, and Dr. Suek asked me to get the film developed right away. "Give the film to Robin, she's taking the next flight out."
         Robin said she was leaving at that very instant, so I gave her the two rolls of film in a led shield bag, along with a scrap of paper hastily drawn, with scrawled notes on where to have the Kodachrome developed. "Take to New York Filmworks, by 8 a.m. Broadway and 21." I drew a map with the flat iron building. "Prepay full amount and delivery charge — film will come to New Yorker c/o CARP at 6 p.m." 


 
              Upon returning to her office Robin discovered that she had left the film at the Airport, and called me in Athens. Robin was usually responsible with important details, and it was rare for her to make such a mistake. This could have meant that my flight to Athens had been a total loss. But I had kept the last ten shots in my camera just to be sure, and I knew I had the shot that Dr. Suek wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment