Saturday, July 21, 2012

27. Burning Sneakers Left and Right



  

         Our Mobile Fundraising Team huddled in a circle in a parking lot on the outskirts of San Antonio, Texas. It was Good Friday, 1983; our product was little furry clip on animals, imported from Korea. We called them Monchichis. The ten of us had just finished an alfresco morning service, when Ian, our team leader, pointed to a pole and ordered us to run to it and back. We all made the dash, that is, all of us except Jerry from Finland. Circled again, with mock fury, Ian asked Jerry why he didn't run. Ian was good-natured and liked to play the heavenly drill sergeant. "I didn't want to get all sweaty," Jerry said, "People don't like you coming in their offices when you're all covered in sweat."


           
"Don't worry about the sweat," Ian barked, "Worry about the sisters outrunning you. Now go and run to that pole and back."

         While Jerry was off and running, Ian gave a little pep talk, "I want you to run for the next 21 days, without stopping. Throughout this 21-day condition I want you to run from shop-to-shop. I want you to be burning sneakers left and right."

         The MFT experience cannot be understood without knowing the wisdom behind sending us out. The three and a half years we lived in a van in humble conditions going shop to shop and receiving persecution was an invaluable experience. When people yelled and cursed at us we could feel how Jesus felt when he was persecuted. We learned how to talk to all walks of life and saw pretty well every aspect of America. Day in and day out, it was our mission to go shop to shop, door to door, person to person raising funds to do God's will. It was our belief that the money people offer us would somehow benefit them, as well as our movement. It was part of our 'Formula Course,' preparing us to ultimately become loving, productive parents.

         After leaving Mamaru's team, we spent three weeks at Camp Deerwood in Massachusetts studying the Principle with John, who made it apply to everyday life. We fund raised on Valentine's Day with flowers; my spot was on top of a huge snow bank in Springfield. At the end of the workshop John took us to see his parents' dairy farm. Then we made our way to Texas, where new teams were made.

         I got dropped off at the outskirts of town with an athletic bag full of little furry clip-on critters. After about three hundred yards of running I slowed down. I had been fundraising for several months without stopping. My feet were flat to the point of pronating; I wore out one pair of sneakers per month. I walked at a fast pace though, and rarely stopped moving. Our team made a $200.00 average on the first day.

         Ian's indomitable spirit impressed me, so I decided to make a breakthrough. The first six months of MFT I had spaced out. I had a copy of my manuscript with me and hand wrote it into a blank book after the team finished every night. My breakthrough attempt was long overdue.

         Just before the condition Ian drilled us on how to act while getting a haircut. He hired a Spanish beautician to collectively cut our hair, and said, "Don't tell her what you want done. I've instructed her to shave all your heads just like the marines. Marines don't tell the barber how to style their hair when they go to boot camp, so I want you to have that kind of standard." Of course he secretly told the lady to give us stylish cuts.

         I have many interesting recollections of Ian's team. One day we were all driving along singing to an Amy Grant tape, when someone in the next lane threw an empty beer can at our windshield. "That's great," Ian said, "Satan is really mad at our spirit." When Jerry got caught in a trap, Ian laughed. A police officer had been working out of an office in the back of a record store, where someone 'Soliciting,' would be caught red handed. Some one else might have been angry, but Ian chuckled at the stupid trick. Early one morning we found that Ian and Myles C had spent the night chasing an Armadillo and had cornered it in a dumpster. That was Ian's why of bonding with Myles, who he was grooming to become a team leader.

         For three days before heading back we did a condition not to eat, and not to sleep until our team made a $200.00 average. Two nights in a row Ian dropped us off for our last 'run.' It was well after midnight and he gave us each a quarter to buy a newspaper to use as a cover. I found an abandoned steel spring mattress to sleep on and used my Monchichi bag for a pillow. In the morning Ian found us sleeping in our respective ditches and took pictures with his little instamatic camera.

After the 21-day condition we returned to our center, which was a rented bungalow in Irving Texas. There was no furniture in the living room, so we would sit on the floor. Forty of us would spend a day listening to Mr. Aoki, the MFT director. He gave us guidance, and talked about latest developments in the church. Then we shared our testimonies. Usually the team leaders, and the top fundraisers gave testimony. Those who couldn't stomach long meetings would stand in the back doorway. (Richard, who couldn't stomach anything, spent the entire day hiding in a closet. Richard was funny that way—he didn't last long on MFT.)

         The first three weeks of March I was on three different teams. Our team left Tampa on a Sunday and arrived in time for the meetings. Dr. Seuk told Mr. Aoki to “raise-up” leaders to become center leaders. Mr. Aoki said, "Let's cry now, but smile on the day of victory." The plan was to fund raise for the first 21 days of the month and then witness for the remainder of the month, provided our results were good.

         A few nights into the April condition I needed another $10.00 to make my goal of $200.00. Ian drove me to a few bars after the team has finished. It was 1 a.m. after going constantly since 8 a.m. stopping briefly for dinner at Wendy’s. The rest of the team was nodding off in the van waiting for the closing prayer to be finished for the day. We all slept in the van, in some secluded area; the van had been modified to hold product, and to provide sleeping room for the team. I walked into the bar holding up a string with Monchichi's and smiled. "Usually these go for three for ten, but I'll let you have four for ten."

         "You really want to make ten dollars don't you?" said the waitress behind the bar. A man on a stool offered to buy me a beer. I declined.

         "I'll buy all your critters if you drink a beer."

         "Don't buy anything from him," some one said from a distant stool, "He's a Moonie." Another couple bought two for five, for their grandchildren .

"I don't judge anyone because I don't like to be judged myself," the waitress said, "I'll take two for five." As I turned to leave she said, "I wish you were following Jesus, rather than Sun Myung Moon.”

We traveled through the Rio Grande Valley along the Mexican border. The people were Spanish; good Catholics, who were generous with what they had. We fund raised some very poor areas. I felt the presence of God when old ladies in dilapidated shacks made offerings of small change. One lady put a dollar in my hand and said, "This is all I have but I give it with all my heart, so that it can be used for God."
         We spent a day across the border fund raising Matamoros. While there Ian had the back door of the van fixed at an auto body shop. I made only $23.00 because the town was so impoverished. Easter Sunday I walked through a park where families were having barbecues. Everyone had confetti in their hair from Cascarones, which they broke over everyone's head.

         After the condition 35 of us went to a Mexican restaurant. I was one of the select few who ended up wearing a sombrero with a cape around my shoulder singing wild songs. Ian felt that our team united well without complaining. My only regret was that I didn't pray enough to meet Heavenly Father the way that I had intended. I fulfilled my other goal though, which was to "Love Fundraising." We witnessed till the start of the month. Doctor Seuk talked of showing Father the tape of our rally in Berkeley and Father said, "CARP will prosper now."

         In Lubbock Texas, where we were selling flowers, Ian let everyone out except for me. "I've got some bad news for you. But don't let it bother you too much. Your wife was picked up for fund raising in Pennsylvania and spent three days in jail. She voluntarily went back to Japan so that she would have another chance to come to America." And then he handed me the postcard with Snow White and Dwarfs. "Now don't spend all day reading it."



 Stefan during a 120 Workshop in 1982

April 28, 1983 Irving, Texas
Dear Yoshiko-san,
         We have just finished four days witnessing at the University of Texas at Arlington, with the last three days having a condition to witness to 40 persons each day. I’m grateful to have been able to fulfill this requirement given by Mr. Aoki, and to meet many good students. There were about eight of us on campus at once, so everywhere you looked in the walkway between the library and the student union there were brothers and sisters giving surveys. We asked four questions, reflecting the four aims of CARP, so that we could find out immediately who was prepared. We brought some students over to our center [a bungalow in a residential neighborhood,] — all seven were inspired about the chance to witness. Some have gone two years without much chance of finding spiritual children.
         There was one good sister I met, who is Korean and has much respect for Father. I sent her some literature and a brief note. I had a lot of hope for her because she was so positive and even tried to teach me some Korean between her classes. But a Korean church director, Mr. Cha, told me that there are many Koreans who would like to support us but they are unable to because of financial and academic commitments.
         Today we spent getting ready to leave tonight cleaning the van and preparing our product. Ian asked me if I wanted to sell cloisonné this time, rather than Monchichis, and I was very happy to change products. It will be easier for me to raise my average with jewelry. This time I must push myself to try and do more running. Running constantly is difficult for me because I’m not in good shape, and I get slowed down by the intense heat. It never gets this hot in Canada.
         Last night one brother brought some things to my attention concerning my spiritual development. He said that I was too private and should share more with brothers and sisters. Also he shared that I had overcome many insecurities since being in the movement. I feel that I usually always try to make good relationships with the members. He gave me a back massage and said that I was tense, from being so serious, “You should project a brighter spirit.” This brother, Jerome, is on another team and is the top fundraiser in CARP.
         When I worked in Atlanta I tried to be a friend to as many members as I could, extending myself to the people in our region. So many of my friends changed missions, so that when I came to MFT there were not so many people I was close to, then I would get close to someone on my team and they would switch teams. Now some of them are here again. Perhaps the best thing for me is to make Heavenly Father and true Parents my best friends. As I close this letter I want to encourage you to continue working hard for heaven. I will be doing my best as well. May Father’s Love be with you. 

ITPL Stefan
May 24, 1983 Irving, Texas
Dear Yoshiko-san,
         How are you? I hope this letter finds you in the best of health, happiness and the hands of God. At present I am happy and inspired. When we arrived home from our 21-day condition we learned that our results had pleased Father, making him smile. Dr. Seuk reported that we had a higher result than Mr. Kamiyama’s MFT and that we would be able to witness again. (For a week, having made our goal.)
         The other night we shared our testimonies about the condition, with Mr. Aoki and the other teams. I was surprised to find out that I was the 5th highest fundraiser on CARP MFT. This time and will be receiving a special pen from Dr. Seuk, with a picture of True Parents at the end of it. I would like to give it to you, because you inspired me to “love fundraising.”
         Today we went to the campus but had to leave due to problems with administration, so Myles and I witnessed in downtown Dallas.
As it turns out CARP MFT sent a total of seven guests to workshop, with 25 members witnessing for four days to make that result. Ian reported that about 14 people from 12 countries met at school for lunch, and most of the guests were inspired to see such a gathering. Ian also said it was one of the best meetings he had ever seen.

   
With a strong condition not to eat and not to return to a motel or to the van to sleep unless we made a team average of $200.00 we started the May condition. The first three days we fasted, and one night I slept in a field beneath the stars, using a bag of Monchichi’s for a pillow. Our main team did poorly, but our sub-team, in a small rented car did well, so that the combined effort made our goal.
For the first two weeks with the main team I broke my average record on Mother’s Day selling flowers. My total that day was $506.00. My individual goal was to break $200.00 average. We did Midland, Odessa and Lubbock in Texas, then for the last week I joined the sub-team in New Mexico.
The standard on our team was very high, being concerned with the team goal, praying for each other and pushing us to run. We would usually have morning service at a park that had a playground exercising first by “following the leader” through an obstacle course. Often, at a given signal we would race back to the van, everyone sprinting to be first. My spirit was able to grow and my prayers became more effective.
During the last week, with the sub team selling cloisonné we had many good experiences. We would each get one small town to fund raise all day. I did Tecumseh, Santa Fe, Espanola, and Gallup, New Mexico. I was able to break my record again with $510.00.
I know that it isn’t so good to share so much about external results; but I will do so now to show how God was able to bless me with a victory, in order to inspire others.
Santa Fe is a picturesque little city set in the mountains. In the down town area amid the adobe buildings street vendors sold jewelry. Each time I approached someone I would smile genuinely, letting my spirit be calm and pure so that people could make an offering to heaven. It wasn’t so good through the day, with just one big sale and a few small ones, not so many were giving. At one point there was a veil of snow on the distant mountain peaks, moving towards the town. A few scattered snowflakes fell on me as I continued. Then the sun shone golden silver on the peaks breaking through the clouds. Perhaps this was foreshadowing some blessing on the way, because after that everyone started to give. By my pick-up I had about $370.00 as we stopped for dinner with Jerry and Myles at a Wendy’s. While waiting for our order I sold two unicorn belts to a girl who studied dancing. Jerry had made $700.00. Myles drove us around to a few places after dinner, and I made a total of $500.00 while Jerry broke a $1,000.00.
A couple days later in Gallup I was almost able to make $500 again but ran out of area at $450.00. Gallup is called ‘the Indian capital of the world.’ It was nice to see Indian families, especially the mothers with their colorful dresses. At one point I skipped a supermarket but did my seven-minute prayer on the way back to it, and ended up doing the office behind the butcher, making a $100.00 sale. That evening I did a small mall and a carnival. In my blitz I sold a pair of butterfly combs to a young Navaho couple; the sister smiled shyly as she put them in her hair and I said they looked pretty.
Finally Myles drove me to a truck-stop where a Japanese sister praying in a parking lot heard me humming a Holy Song and came over to greet me. She was impressed that we were still fundraising past 2 am. She was with the National MFT. I was impressed that she had come to a foreign country to do God's Will. ITPL Stefan





No comments:

Post a Comment